Politics, Sports, Business, Entertainment and News you will get nowhere else.

Sunday, 25 February 2018

Dapchi Attack: FG Says 110 Girls Missing


The picture above is that of Hassana Mohammed, 13, who scaled a fence to escape an alleged Boko Haram attack on her Government Girls Science and Technical College, She stands outside her home in Dapchi, Nigeria, on February 22, 2018.

The Federal Government has confirmed that 110 students of the Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State, are so far unaccounted for, after insurgents believed to be from a faction of Boko Haram invaded their school last Monday.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, announced the figure after a meeting between a Federal Government delegation and representatives of key stakeholders, including the state government, the college, the parents, security agencies and Bursari Local Government, where Dapchi is situated, in Damaturu on Sunday.
He said, based on the briefings from the Principal of the College, Hajia Adama Abdulkarim; and the State Commissioner for Education, Mr. Mohammed Lamin, 906 students — out of which 110 have not been accounted for — were in the school on the day of the attack.
Mohammed also announced that the Federal Government has directed the police and civil defence authorities in Yobe State to immediately deploy their personnel to all the schools in the state in order to ensure the security and safety of students and staff members.
The minister disclosed that the Federal Government has stepped up efforts to rescue the girls and return them safely to their parents, saying the security agencies are working on many leads regarding the
whereabouts of the girls.
He said, ”This is the second time in four days that a Federal Government delegation would visit Yobe State since the unfortunate incident.
“This is a measure of the seriousness with which we are addressing the issue. The security forces are leaving no stone unturned in their search for the girls.
”We are back here in Yobe as part of efforts to provide some succour to the parents of the girls, to let them know that they are not alone, and also to reassure them that we will not rest until we have found the girls. We will carry the parents along on the efforts we are making.”
On his part, the Minister of Interior , Lt .-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (retd), said the delegation embarked on the trip in order to get the facts right ”so that the approach to the solution can be correct.”
”We must get back the girls and also ensure that this does not happen again, ” he said.
The Federal Government delegation, which comprised Mohammed and Dambazau, held an enlarged meeting that was attended by Governor Ibrahim Geidam of Yobe State; members of the state cabinet, the principal and vice principal of the school, representatives of the parents of the missing girls and security agencies, among others.

Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comments made by readers of this blog are strictly the views and opinions of the writers and not that of Nedu Echianu's Blog.

Credit is given to the original sources of culled stories, but in a situation where your story is wrongfully credited to someone else, please contact neduechianu@gmail.com for an immediate correction.

For eye witness reports, stories and features which you want published on this blog please contact me on +234-8037036168 or neduechianu@gmail.com.